Measure the base area of your property
That will be the roof base width. Then, measure the distance of the other side of the structure from the edge of the eave to the other. That will be the roof base length. Multiply those figures together to get an estimate of the base area for the roof structure.
- Measure the length and width of each plane on the roof (including dormers) then multiply length times width.
- Add the square footage of each of the planes together.
MEASURING ROOF PITCH
Simply locate a roof rafter board, place the end of the level against the bottom edge and measure from the 12-inch mark vertically to the bottom edge of the rafter. This will give you the rise over run, or pitch. For example, if you measure 4 inches, the pitch of your roof is 4:12.
How do you measure gutters from the ground?
How do you measure a roof with a tape measure?
How do you estimate roofing costs?
- Is the company a licensed contractor and a member in good standing of a trade association? …
- How long has the company been in business? …
- Will the company provide referrals or references from previous jobs? …
- Does the roofing contractor or the company carry insurance?